Friday, January 14, 2011

BEGONIA BOATSCHOOL

Many of you have wondered how I prepared to homeschool (or, “boatschool” like the kids like to say) onboard the Begonia.  I spent a good amount of time researching various pre-packaged curricula on the market for sale.  I also attended a meeting of the Evanston Homeschool Association back in Chicago, thirsty for ideas and suggestions.  On the one side, the Calvert School pre-packaged curriculum was pretty intensive and a little pricey since we would have had to buy the entire first and second grade packages, while Sofia was really only going to miss half of first grade and a smidgen of second.  On the other side, I found the homeschooling methodology of the people I met in Evanston a little too “open.”  Since I am not planning on homeschooling for the rest of the childrens’ academic careers I felt I needed a little more structure to make sure Sofia especially would stay on track returning to school in 2012.  
My concerns were greatly assuaged upon having a meeting with Mr. Michel, the principal at Sofia’s school, who really stressed the fact that the kids would learn simply through osmosis and being with their parents for such a concentrated period of time.  Still, I did want to have some structure on the boat, so I decided we would do 1.5-2 hours a day of true “academics” (reading, writing, math, science, history, geography, etc) at least 6 days a week.  Our schedule is to have “school” in the morning after breakfast and chores (sweep and make beds), eat lunch on the boat and then after lunch go on a “field trip.”  The field trip might be getting groceries, going to a tide pool to see the sea life we’re learning about, etc., or just taking a walk.
I did find a great website and downloaded a few (free) lesson plans that provide a theme to study and corresponding learning materials.  It’s help me be a little more focused on what to teach, rather than be all over the place.  I think I mentioned in a previous blog that our current/first theme is OCEANS so we are learning about all the animals in the sea, about the five main oceans, a little about boats’ and how they work as well as pirates!  It seemed like a timely theme to start out with and I was thrilled as we were pulling into Bimini and seeing the crystal clear water, that the kids could identify many of the animals they were seeing.  It was interesting to hear them debating whether what they saw was “a Portuguese man-o-war or a regular jellyfish.”
The piece de resistance was a visit to the Bimini Shark Research Center where they were able to see more species and ask questions to the university student researchers there (we had a very interresting ride back on a Bahamian school bus!).  These students come in for 10-week periods to study marine biology, specifically the behavior of the various shark species.  Apparently Bimini is one of the most perfect places to study because most sea animals can be found here.  The students were very nice to the kids.  Again, I was thrilled to hear the kids telling the students little factoids they had learned like, “did you know a starfish could regrow its entire body from just its leg if it were cut off?” I know all our children are sponges and learning all the time, but I think in everyday life back home, I never witnessed it.  All these things the kids are learning now, of course can be taught back home, but for some reason, our life always seems too hectic or something and I am sorry to say we don’t spend that quality time with the kids.
The last couple of days have been cold and rainy so we have spent a lot of time studying.  I do have to admit that I do get push back from the kids… some days they are reluctant to focus, so that’s where the flexibility ahs to come in, and I switch the lesson of the day to play a game or something.
All in all, it is very gratifying for me.... and I think the kids really like the on-on-one attention.  In fact, Sofia even started giving her own homeschool classes to all her dolls.  Hedy, if it has her reading, it's perfect! I am learning a lot about my kids and about myself.
So… we have been in Bimini for the last 5 days, awaiting the cold front to pass.  I think we will move on on Saturday... NEXT DESTINATION:  Nassau, Bahamas.
















Scroll down left panel to see prior postings!
FOUNTAINE PAJOT ATHENA 38 CATAMARAN FOR SALE – After our wonderful experience, BEGONIA is ready for its next sailing family – with or without children!  Please contact sebastiankoziura@hotmail.com for more information.

3 comments:

  1. This is really amazing, Karla, and I'm so proud of you and glad to hear such an honest telling of this aspect of the trip. Keep up the awesome work! These are experiences they will always remember as if they happened just yesterday (I still remember my first grade trip to the Philippines that way -- super vivid after 40 years)!
    Abrazos fuertes,
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience for all of you! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait to read the next blog :)

    ReplyDelete